Sunday, May 16, 2010

I Have Been Attacked

My days are pretty predictable.  I am not complaining-just stating the obvious.  The other morning I did the usual morning junk and got to the point that I realized Jaitz probably needed to relieve himself. After packing the stroller down the stairs, walking back up to get Cru, Jaitz, poop bag, leash, blanket, pacifier, and burp cloth, we were off on our morning walk.  We live in a complex that isn't very big so on our walks I go a street over and walk down the street so I can get some of Jaitz' wiggles out.  We all know he loves a good wiggle.  To get to the street, I need to walk through our complex.  Just as I am getting close to the main street outside of our complex, I notice that Jaitz is rearing up and walking on two legs...he pretty much resembled a T-rex.  Obviously this is his way of pointing.  No wonder Boston Terriers aren't hunting dogs.  I look to see what he is "pointing" at and spot a bird that is flying relatively close to us.  I ignore it and continue walking when I hear a flutter of wings.  I turn quickly and see the sucker flying right at us.  Once I turned around and puffed up my chest, it of course altered direction and flew into a near by tree.  He (I am assuming it is a he bird) is close.  A little too close.  In fact he is eye level with me and staring his beady bird eye right into my beady human eye and Jaitz's bugged out eye.  Not daring to take my eye off of him, I two step it out of there thinking he is probably protecting a nest or a pile of worms.  He proceeds to bounce from tree to tree until we make it to the main sidewalk and then he leaves. I duly note not to go through that part of the complex on the way back from our walk.

As we are flip flopping our way back to the complex after a nice jaunt, I avoid the said region and decide to walk on the drive way back to our apartment-FAR away from the he bird incident.  It is about this moment as I am smiling subtly and breathing a fresh breath of morning air and noticing the sky is a pristine blue that something is in my hair.  And it is moving.  And it is big.  And I hear wings.  The little fetcher flew right into my head!  I think I shrieked and immediately began to run with one arm on the stroller and the leash while the other is waving wildly around my head.  Have any of you tried to run with one hand on a stroller?  Not the easiest thing to do since the wheels immediately decide to turn sideways and shoot the stroller in any direction other than straight.  Now imagine that you are running with your one handed stroller, concerned that you might be scalped by a bird, and a T-rex positioned dog is wanting to go anywhere but away from the bird.  This is what is happening.  The drive way of our complex is right next to a costume shop, and as I realize that I am probably looking like a crazed person, a costume customer is walking into the store and staring at me.  I hope she saw the bird.  The scariest thing of all is that the bird has been silent this whole time.  Not a chirp or a squawk, simple silence.  We got away without a scratch but the bird kept dive bombing us.  I told Jatiz to 'git it' and I think the he bird got the point...although Jaitz would probably just wiggle or lick the bird.

We got out of there but on the rest of the walk back to our place I kept seeing shadows of birds swooping around.  I probably looked like I had some sort of tick the way I was scanning the sky.  The next day I walked by the place where we first saw the bird and he was sitting on the ground in the middle of the sidewalk, like he was some kind of guard or ninja.  We decided to take a different route.  I didn't get a picture but if I did I bet Cru would have looked like this...

8 comments:

Bryan + Juli said...

Not to belittle your trauma but that is freaking hilarious! I've always been an avid bird hater myself and since moving to Arizona (aka the bird holy land) have been attacked by our local duck (appropriately dubbed cat bait as I'd like to feed him to a cat) on many occasions... and was even chased up stairs by that jerk so I feel your pain with the whole avian nemesis problem it's a real epidemic...

natalie todd said...

seriously the most hilarious story ever... why do you always have weird animal happenings. I WISH I could have seen the collision. Not to laugh at you of course. Tell Zac to get out his bee bee gun! My dad sure would. That pic of Cru is priceless.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap. You are SO FUNNY!!!

Nancy said...

I swear I heard something like this on the news last week. Maybe all the birds in the greater Phoenix area are going crazy! Very Alfred Hitchcock like.

Michelle said...

You have a gift for making people laugh and therefore feel happy. I think of it often as I watch Rebekah learn to do crazy things just to make her brother and sister laugh. If we're lucky, she'll follow in your footsteps...

Anonymous said...

I am having major computer problems and a major work deadline looming so I really needed the belly roll laugh that I got from this. You are a jewel, my Chi Chi! Still think you should go into writing of some type. Love you!

Suzy said...

I think you are the coolest person I know.

Heather Morgan said...

See, now if you had been in Idaho you would have had a gun strapped to your stroller. One in your ford, and one on your stroller. This to me, is a sign from God telling you to move back. But, what do I know? Good work on flailing around to get the sucker off. Sure wish I could have seen this!!! Nice work. Seffan.